12.04.2007

Turkey Day. . . at last.

Okay, so this Thanksgiving Day recap is a little late but at least it's here! We had a fantastic weekend with friends from across the country as we hosted our first Thanksgiving feast in our new home. Kevin and Tammy drove from Minneapolis, Jon and Julie travelled from Seattle and NY respectively and Jared, Breyn, and Rowan drove from the North side of town. All the festivities unofficially started Wednesday night as the first of our guests arrived and then officially kicked in as we made the final preparations for the T-day feast. It was all traditional fare and I'd say overall it was a gastronomical success. . .


Turkey (brined and then roasted a la Good Eats style)
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Lion House Rolls with Honey Butter
Laura's Spinach Pear and Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Roasted Butternut Squash
Pumpkin Pie
Cherry Pie
and
Chocolate Whipped Cream

After letting our food settle we played an interesting and funny game introduced to us by Jared and Breyn called The Paper Bag Game. The premise of the game is to pick up a brown paper bag using your teeth while standing and without using your hands. After each turn you rip the piece of the bag off that you bit. It was hilarious and a revealing exercise in who was the most flexible in our group of friends.


It was such a fun FUN day (and weekend--I'll post more about the rest of our activities from the weekend as I can). We were so glad to have such dear friends with us to celebrate all that we are grateful for.

8 comments:

Laura said...

I love the paper bag game idea . . . we'll have to try it for an FHE game sometime! I'm impressed with everything you made on Thanksgiving! You were very ambitious, and it looked delicious! Way to go!

Rachel said...

Gotta love the good eats Turkey. We roasted ours that way last year and it was such a success. Two of the families that came last year called to ask for the recipe this year. Yum yum!

tamara s. said...

What a lovely weekend it was! Thank you again for hosting all of us for what is perhaps the best Thanksgiving we have ever had. And thanks for the birthday wishes! That's my favorite part of birthdays - hearing from all the wonderful people I know! We miss you gusy!

Anonymous said...

Becky - sorry to leave this on your blog but I want your new address...it's Christmas card season. I love reading your blog...it's really fun. Send me an e-mail at allentown1@gmail.com so I can steal your address. :) Thanks! Heather Allen

Liz said...

Fun Turkey day! Sounds like you had lots of good food and friends!

I've heard of the paper bag game, but I like this version better, tearing off the piece of paper that you bit, much more hygenic.

Sean said...

Fun idea and gorgeous spread of food! Give my congrats to Breyn!

Marbell Payne said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I guess we are coming to your land next year for Thanksgiving! Wouldn' that be fun?? That turkey looks darn delicious! I must get that recipe...but not until next year.

Anonymous said...

BECKY! I need the new Wren Family address!
Looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving!
Keep the entries coming, i love reading them.
Love, Laura