a pile o' dirt
This is what we spent an entire Saturday moving at the beginning of June so that I could plant our first garden. Jarom did an awesome job building our garden box! *Thanks Honey* Unfortunately for us, the ground was too wet for the dump truck to get the topsoil into the back of our yard via the empty lot next to us. Jarom and I worked for nearly 8 hours shoveling and hauling the dirt from the driveway where it was dumped to the farthest corner of our backyard. It was a long hard day that was sadly ended before we were able to finish by a torrential down pour of rain. We were able to save the last 10 wheelbarrow loads of dirt by covering the remaining dirt with a giant tarp we were lucky enough to have on hand. I was able to get our plants into the garden and they all miraculously survived the flood of rain we got. A few days later, I moved the last of the dirt to our flower beds and our driveway was finally cleared of the dirty mess it housed. Here are a few pictures. . . some of the great pile o' dirt,
our extremely helpful and very dirty children,
the garden box,
our poor garden after the horrible rain
and, lastly, proof that our garden is thriving despite our novice skills. 
Our green thumbs seem to be in working order so far. We've already enjoyed several zucchini and are bracing ourselves for the over abundance of tomatoes it appears we'll be having in a few short weeks. Hooray for positive first experiences AND for saintly neighbors who kept an eye on our "baby" while we were out of town.
6 comments:
Hurray for you! Looks like you do have a green thumb! And I love the shape of the box. Very smart! Someday I hope to follow in your footsteps. So sorry about your dad. I can't imagine. And good to have you back!
I'm really looking forward to a garden. It looks like we will be moving to Washington DC so, no gardening in our near future. :(
But, yours looks great!
Wow beck. Your garden looks awesome! I'm jealous of your zucchini....ours are struggling. Maybe they just don't grow so well in pots;) Oh well. Your kids are cute and I can't wait to visit in a couple months!
Wow! What a fabulous garden box! Congrats on your first garden. It looks beautiful and lush!
Since we don't really have our own yard (well we do it just doesn't belong to us), I just have a container plant of tomatoes, and some flowers planted. I hope our tomatoes ripen soon, I can't wait to eat them!
Becky,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. What a struggle this has been for you and your family. You have a very strong spirit.
On a happier note, I love the garden. As a novice gardener myself I love seeing other peoples gardens. I will post some pictures of mine soon.
The garden looks good! All it needs is a few of those ceramic gnomes with the pointy hats!
I'm so glad you are back to blogging. Sam thought playing in a huge dirt pile looked fun.
Post a Comment