4.11.2008

scissors

This is what Olivia did to her hair last Friday night while we had some friends over. Before I left her and Jack with the opened art supplies box, I gave the "scissors are only for cutting paper" speech sure that such a reminder would deter any of them from cutting anything else. I was wrong.

When Jarom led her down the stairs to show me what she'd done, I had to cover my face and hurry out of the room. . . trying not to laugh. Thankfully, Olivia thought I was so upset that I was crying. She carefully walked over to me and held my face in her little hands and said, "It's otay Mom. Haywuh gwoahs bat!" translation: It's okay Mom. Hair grows back! Again trying not to laugh while I tried to convey my disappointment that she'd cut her hair, I covered my face. When I'd regained enough composure, I sternly told her that she would not be using scissors EVER again (okay that was a little extreme on my part) and then clarified that it would be a very VERY long time before she would get to use scissors again. She patted my back and said in her most cheery voice "Oh Mom! Dat's otay! I tan still det to tuwah!" translation: Oh Mom! That's okay! I can still get to color!

Always the optimist. She's right it will grow back and eventually I'll be able to laugh about it with her instead of just behind her back. For now, she just has to wear her hair down until it grows out enough to pull up again. sigh.

12 comments:

Susan said...

Cute little Olivia is still adorable - even with a chunk of hair missing off her head! Hehehe.

CKW said...

In my family, we all managed to cut our won hair the week before schduled professional pictures. Made for some interesting portraits! She still looks cute.

CKW said...

by "won hair" I mean own hair! I should probably look over my posts before I send them...

LL said...

OH MAN! i fear this moment at our house. it's gotta happen at some point.
She is beautiful no matter what..i love her sweet little words.
she's a glass half full kinda gal, "that's ok, i can still color"
LOVE IT!!!!

tamara s. said...

I love sassy little Olivia! She is spunky! I can't believe you managed to hide your laughter, I don't know if I could have! Such a good story, thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

I love Olivia's expressions in the photos . . . like she's not sure why you want to take pictures of her. "What are going to do with these mom? Blackmail??"

Chelsea Parsons said...

OOOhhh myyyy! Did she do that little fringe too? I would have cried! Little ratbag!!!!!

Becky said...

Yes, Chels. She did cut the chunk of hair off the front that caused me to have to give her bangs. . . and yes, she was a little ratbag in my book. :)

MB said...

I'm so glad you all have a blog!
Did you see that ours is "private" now? Make sure to e-mail me if I didn't tell you the password!
I love your posts! They are GREAT! I cut my hair when I was small too...this is a great story!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Olivia. Those pictures are awesome.

And congrats on the new etsy shop! I checked it out and it all looks fabulous! I wish I had a little girl to buy for! Maybe my niece needs some fun new hair clips...

Marbell Payne said...

I love your blogg. Go Olivia...rack up those stories for mom to tell to your own kids.

BeautyFul said...

Yikes! My Reagan did the same thing last May! I about died! The funniest part was that she was only two feet away from her homework-doing daddy who didn't even realize what was happening! I got home and cried! I can just picture you covering your face and running away trying not to laugh!

Yep, it's official! I miss Becky!

-Kristina

p.s. I LOVE your business! You will be hearing from me my dear.