eatin' good
I signed our family up for a CSA share (community supported agriculture) and we've been enjoying lots of yummy fresh food grown on a farm not too far from here--it was my insurance policy if I couldn't get our own vegetable garden to grow. We missed the first two boxes while we were in UT, but here are the pictures of the first three boxes we've gotten.
Box 1: 
Strawberries
Broccoli
Garlic Scapes
Broccoli
Garlic Scapes
(the coils of green stuff)
Kohlrabi
Kohlrabi
(strange bulbous vegetable. . . difficult to peel, jicama like crunch with a weird spicy/dirty broccoli taste--not very well received here)
Lettuce: Green Romaine
Lettuce: Green Romaine
Sunflower Greens
(Jack LOVED these! He'd ask for "sprouts" just about every day!)
Box 2:
Strawberries
Broccoli
Fresh Garlic
Broccoli
Fresh Garlic
Kohlrabi
(ugh. . . we weren't too excited to see more of these in our box)
Lettuce: Mixed Types
Sugar Snap Peas
Sugar Snap Peas
Sunflower Greens
(Jack was a happy kid to get some more of these :) We saved some and planted them in a pot on our back patio. . . we'll see what comes of them)
Cilantro
Cauliflower
Cauliflower
(looked a little different from the stuff you get at the grocery store, but it tasted GREAT!
Green Beans
Green Beans
(super tasty steamed with a little shredded cheddar on top)
Lettuce: Mixed Types
Snow Peas
Lettuce: Mixed Types
Snow Peas
(we made an awesome apricot chicken with snow peas stir-fry dish--yum!)
Zucchini
Zucchini
(four loaves of zucchini bread--Olivia cried like the world was ending when we finished it off--good thing it's a hit around here!)
There have been a few strange things, but overall we've been thoroughly pleased with our experience! We get our next box this afternoon. . . what will we be surprised with this week???
10 comments:
That looks like so much fun. I've got to get myself on a wait list here so we can do that a few years down the road . . . that's how long it takes to get on!
I am finally checking your blogg and yay...you are back. Healthy stuff there. It all looks so good! You are def.in the midwest! You country gal you!I wish I could get my steven to eat just one vegetable. Not one...not one will he eat. I've tried everthing and he just refuses.
wow. I love the pictures... you are so artsy:)
yum! That weird stuff you arent too sure about... is it fennel, I cant see the top of it. If it is, that's my fave vegetable right now... kinda aniseedy tasting. Its great cut really fine with slices of orange as a salad. Way to go getting a CSA though, thats the best!
i've always admired your healthy, creative cooking. You've got talent my friend and what a fun way to have fresh veggies.
Good work!!!
You had me at "apricot chicken with snow peas." Any chance I could get that recipe from you?
ALl those fruits and veggies look and sound so yummy! I wish I knew of a place around here to order from. Your boxes beats the grocery store fair any day!
here's a QUESTION...where did the question blog go? I just checked my bloglines, it said you had one...now it's gone.
Here's another question...when will there be a Wren #6? i'm so curious...
also. does Jarom like his new job? AND how do you like your new area?
What do they have you doing in your ward?
and last of all, do you miss Clinton game nights from back in the day? I DO!!!
LL- I chickened out on the questions blog. . . maybe someday I'll be as brave as you. :)
I WILL answer your questions though!
Um, Wren #6????? I'm still getting over the shock of Wren #3, #4, and #5!!! Ha! Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Wren #6 showed up in the next year or so. Who are we kidding though? We've never successfully "planned" the addition of any Wrens!
Jarom loves his job. It's great. The company is fantastic and the area. . . well, it's no Clinton (or MA for that matter!) I don't think anything will ever equal our MA experience! We LOVED it there and would go back in a heart beat if our desire to be a little closer to family weren't pulling so hard at us. OH, that and a JOB. :)
As for our ward--BOY you are FULL of questions :)--Jarom teaches Sunday school to the 14/15 year olds (though job, but the LOVE him) and I'm the enrichment counselor in RS. . . our next big enrichment activity is all on organization (keep thinking about your lovely magazine shoot and that awesome Joyce Dorney) too bad you're not close enough to have as a guest speaker! :)
Well, how's that for some answers? Hope you find this. . . maybe I'll go post a little comment for you so that you know this is here. I'm still not as blog savvy as I'd like to be. . . I'm sure there's another way to tell you.
Have a great day!
Becky...I have been trying to find your blog for a long time. I have clicked on your name through Laura's comments but it never shows a link for your blog so I asked her to just send it to me. How are you doing? Your blog is great. I am actually thinking about signing up for a CSA through our neighborhood too. A lot of friends and neighbors from church are doing it so I might join them. It looks like you got some good things, I don't know about Sunflower greens and I have NO idea what Garlic Scapes are but it would be fun to try something new.
Well I am glad I have your blog so I can keep up with you. Your kids are ADORABLE!
Post a Comment